Airservices manages a short-term noise monitoring program which is an important addition to the Noise and Flight Path Monitoring System (NFPMS). Portable noise monitors can be deployed for a limited (one to 12 months) period of time, typically three months. They allow data to be obtained from locations that do not require permanent noise monitoring or where a permanent monitor cannot be installed.
The results can be used to:
- detail noise impacts on communities
- validate noise modelling
- measure the impact of changes in procedures (for example, a flight path modification)
- provide evidence to inform decisions on permanent monitoring locations.
Decisions on locating temporary noise monitors take into consideration:
- community feedback
- reviews of the noise monitoring network that have identified potential gaps
- modelling of potential new procedures and their impacts.
Airservices consults with communities on the locations of short-term noise monitors. Information gathered by short term noise monitoring can be accessed either by WebTrak or via published reports on deployments.